DNR Seeks Help for Hardy Lake Crappie Research
Indiana Ag Connection - 03/13/2018
People who fish Hardy Lake near Scottsburg can help the DNR learn more about angler harvest of crappie.
The DNR tagged more than 350 black and white crappie at the lake. Here is how anglers can help:
- Inspect all crappie caught for a tag. Fish are tagged with a yellow "spaghetti tag" near the dorsal fin with a four- or five-digit number. The tag may appear brown or black, and some crappie may be double tagged.
- Remove the tag(s) with a knife or scissors.
- Report the capture of a tagged fish to the DNR. Tag return envelopes are at Hardy Lake boat ramps and gate houses, the Hardy Lake property office and the DNR Bloomington field office.
- Fill out the tag return envelope and drop the tag(s) into the envelope. Envelopes can be returned to where you obtained the envelope. Only include tag(s) from one fish per envelope.
- If you do not have a tag return envelope, you can return the tag(s) with the following information to DNR Bloomington Field Office, 5596 E. State Road 46, Bloomington, IN 47401:
o If you released the fish or brought it home.
o Your name and address.
o Capture date.
For more information, contact assistant south region fisheries research biologist Andrew Bueltmann at 812-287-8300 ext. 8302 or abueltmann@dnr.IN.gov.